ENVIROLINK™ (VRLA) batteries are very different from our flooded lead-acid battery products. The ENVIROLINK™ battery is a completely sealed gel electrolyte battery. The battery never needs electrolyte or water added.
The electrolyte has been immobilized within each cell, and the vent cap has been replaced with a permanent pressure release valve, making this battery leakproof/spillproof – and completely environmentally safe. Being environmentally and employee safe means:
- You never need to add water or be exposed to the hazards of sulfuric acid.
- You do not have to be exposed to the hazards of excessive hydrogen gas, which is generated during recharge on standard flooded batteries.
- You can use and recharge equipment in remote or decentralized areas because of the reduction of hydrogen gas generation.
- Your work area will remain cleaner and safer.
What technology makes this battery so unique that it doesn’t require water like standard flooded batteries? The ENVIROLINK™ battery uses a recombination process that prevents water loss. Recombination is a process in which oxygen is diffused from the positive plate to the negative plate and the water that has decomposed on the positive plate (to produce oxygen) is regenerated by the reduction at the negative plate.
Because regular flooded cells are not designed to operate on the recombination technique, they require watering on a regular basis. The sealed gel cells enable oxygen to circulate more freely, thus eliminating the need to add water. No water ever needs to be added. No specific gravity readings need to be taken, and there are no hazardous leaks or spills. It’s environmentally safe and sealed power. The valve-regulated technology enables the battery to operate with a permanent pressure release valve, instead of removable vent caps that are used on flooded lead-acid batteries. Because ENVIROLINK™ is a sealed valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) battery, it is the clear choice for environmentally safe power.
The ENVIROLINK™ battery is our power solution for customers looking to reduce their routine maintenance time and expenses while still providing adequate power to get the job done. Eliminating expenses lowers your operating costs and saves you time and money.
The ENVIROLINK™ battery also:
- Never needs watering.
- Requires no special charging room.
- Contains vertical cells, not horizontal, which help the battery to operate cooler.
- Available in 75 AH in 23.50" heights with cover and in 110 AH in 30.75" heights with cover.
- Operates cleaner than standard flooded batteries.
- Available in “packs” – which include an automatic built-in charger that makes charging your battery easy and convenient.
ENVIROLINK’s™ ADDED BENEFITS
Let’s take a closer look at the ENVIROLINK™ battery’s added benefits:
Environmentally Safe - Leakproof/spillproof/safe. Since the ENVIROLINK™ battery is sealed, there is never a need to worry about acid spills. ENVIROLINK™ is also safer for employees due to no excessive gassing during the charge cycle.
No Watering - Since the ENVIROLINK™ battery is a sealed battery, no water will ever need to be added, not for the lifetime of the battery. No watering. No room for over/underwatering error.
Reduced Expenses - The ENVIROLINK™ battery never needs to be watered, so watering costs are eliminated. ENVIROLINK™ also emits almost no hydrogen, thereby eliminating the need for special ventilation. ENVIROLINK™ allows you to charge at the point of use.
ENVIROLINK™ is designed for Light and Medium duty applications and thus fills a unique application/operation niche. (VRLA batteries are not recommended for eavy duty applications.)
- Light duty is up to 60% discharge over an 8-hour shift at an ambient temperature of 86°F or less.
- Medium duty is up to 80% discharge over an 8-hour shift at an ambient temperature of 86°F or less.
- Heavy duty is more than 8 hours of discharge in a 24-hour period, or operation at an ambient temperature of greater than 100°F.
For any use other than Light and Medium duty applications prior approval must be granted.
If your application meets ALL of the following requirements, ENVIROLINK™ (VRLA) batteries are a suitable choice for your application.
- Your equipment is designed with a lift lock-out or other device that should be set to take the truck out of service when the battery reaches 1.90 VPC under load.
- The charger has a HAWKER-approved profile for gel batteries.
- Charge time for an 80% DoD battery is 9-16 hours based on charger type.
- Battery will not be discharged to more than 80% DoD in 8 hours at any time.
- Battery will not exceed more than 8 hours of discharge use before being charged.
- Battery will not exceed more than 2 calendar days between charges.
- Battery must be equalize charged once weekly for 7 hours at 1.5% to 2% of the battery capacity.
- Battery must not be charged if battery temperature is over 90°F. Battery must first be cooled to below 90°F before charging.
- The maximum number of cycles per day is 1 (one discharge and one full recharge).
- The battery will not exceed a maximum of 250 cycles per year.
- No electric appliance (for example: warning beacon, light, heater, radio, etc.) will be directly connected to some/any cells of the battery.
- The temperature range of use for the battery is between 60°F and 100°F as measured by the Battery Boss or Battery Boss WC battery control module. Any use outside this range must be approved by HAWKER.
ENVIROLINK™ (VRLA) batteries are the perfect environmental choice for your operation if your application criteria matches those of the VRLA product.
Contact Mountain Power now to cover all of your battery, charger and power system needs.